Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Reese Witherspoon for Vogue

A disappointing return to form.



Roland Mouret Spring 2011 Collection
Model: Kendra Spears (ELITE)

US Vogue May 2011 Issue
Editorial: "A Day at the Circus"
Photographer: Peter Lindbergh
Fashion Editor: Tonne Goodman
Hair: Julien d’Ys
Makeup: Stéphane Marais


Wow, that cover is really awful. Without getting into a dissection of the planes of her face, we'll just say that the angle isn't flattering and the squint eyes are off-putting for the cover of a fashion magazine. But first, a movie needs to be sold:

On being in a good place: “It sort of indicates that at other times I was not in a good place. Which is true. I have had my share of heartbreak. But I think your friends really know when you are at your happiest. Even though I am nervous and excited and all those things people feel when they are about to get married, I think I am mostly very calm right now. Usually, I’m a little bit of a squirrel. I have a squirrelly energy.”

On preparing for her role in
Water for Elephants: “About three months before the movie started, I went to circus school doing trapeze and acrobatics with Cirque du Soleil performers. A lot of it is flexibility and learning to bend your body backward. I had been a gymnast when I was little, so getting that flexibility back was really fun.”

On her life as an actress:
“You know, it can be a crazy life. Sometimes you feel like you are on a speeding train and you just don’t know where it’s going. You can start to lose your identity and what it is that you are really working for. I don’t wake up to make movies. I wake up to have a wonderful family and to cultivate the best life for all of us, and it’s great to now have a partner in that. We have a lot of family meetings. ‘Mom’s going to be away and coming home on the weekends. How does everybody feel about that?’ It’s always military operations around here. Lots of different moving parts. I have my moments when I feel like I’m just going to collapse and I can’t do it anymore and I’m failing at everything. Like, you’re kind of good at a bunch of stuff but not really good at anything.”

Discuss her soundbites amongst yourselves. We want to talk about the pictures.


Christian Dior Pre-Fall 2011 Collection
Model: Alina Baikova (NEXT)



Sophie Theallet Fall 2011 Collection
Model: Maria Kashleva



Dolce & Gabbana Spring 2011 Collection
Model: Anna Selezneva



Narciso Rodriguez Spring 2011 Collection
Model: Freja Beha Erichsen

Okay, first: that Dolce & Gabbana dress needs to be burned. Second, what a disappointment this is after the image-adjusting editorial she did for ElleUK. This is just a basic movie advertising editorial; as Natalie Portman was forced into bird-inspired ballet drag for a year, so too will Reese be forced into period costumes and circus backdrops with the occasional elephant as a co-star. Bleh. Worse still, this is an editorial for Vogue, the ne plus ultra of fashion mags, and it's barely distinguishable from the editorial she did for Entertainment Freaking Weekly. Vogue should be embarrassed.

The clothes are pretty, though.

[Photo Credit: Peter Lindbergh, vogue.com, style.com]


Post a Comment


Labels: , , , , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment